Current Open Positions:
Staff Attorney – Santa Fe, NM
New Mexico Appleseed seeks a staff attorney for its legal and policy team. The staff attorney would be responsible for research and writing on programs to fight poverty, hunger, and homelessness. This position does not involve litigation or client representation. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Caitlin Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research public and private programs to fight poverty, hunger, and homelessness, both in New Mexico and other jurisdictions. Candidate must be able to do thorough, reliable, sometimes non-traditional research on federal, state, local, and tribal laws, regulations, and guidance.
- Analyze existing programs and opportunities for new interventions.
- Write program analyses, legal memos, policy briefs, and fact sheets.
- Edit own and others’ work and accept constructive criticism from others.
- Monitor new guidance, regulations, and legislation at the state and federal levels.
- Keep up with news and best practices on anti-poverty programs.
- Handle miscellaneous tasks that come with working at a small organization.
- Potentially take on other projects, depending on organizational needs and candidate’s skill set. Projects might include data analysis, legislative drafting, and/or conducting presentations and workshops.
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to present complicated information clearly.
- Very strong research ability, including experience doing research outside of legal and academic databases.
- Commitment to public service.
- Familiarity with government agencies and programs in the areas of hunger, public benefits, and housing and homelessness.
- Law journal experience preferred.
- Judicial clerkship preferred.
- Bar admission preferred.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Caitlin Smith, email@example.com.